[arin-ppml] Bootstrapping new entrants after IPv4 exhaustion

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 25 15:45:41 EST 2013

Scott wrote:

> I'm not sure it's all that helpful to ask me to re-justify the entire NRPM.
> That requirement, in a more strict form, is what is present in the NRPM today.

But we can't make policy for policy's sake. ARIN exists to, in part, provide number resources to the operator community who needs them.  Section 4 of the NRPPM serves the needs of the network operator community circa 1996, not 2014 and beyond.   So how about:

4.2.0:

An ISP can obtain an initial allocation of a /24 or larger by demonstrating a need to use at least 25% of the space within 90 days, and at least 50% of the space within one year.

4.2.1

An ISP can obtain an additional allocations by demonstrating 80% or better utilization of existing address space. The additional allocation block size determination uses the criterion in 4.2.0

4.3.0

An end-user can obtain an initial assignment of a /24 or larger by demonstrating a need to use at least 25% of the space within 90 days, and at least 50% of the space within one year.

4.3.1

An end-user can obtain an additional assignment by demonstrating 80% or better utilization of existing address space. The additional assignment block size determination uses the criterion in 4.3.0

Throw in a section on SWIP, keep 4.5 MDN as-is, and presto, you're done with section 4, and you've fixed NRPM 8.3 and you've harmonized the very broken ISP v End-user mechanic.

Doesn't this serve the network operator community in 2014 better than making small changes to walls and walls of text from 1996?

David R Huberman
Microsoft Corporation
Senior IT/OPS Program Manager (GFS)