[arin-ppml] Bootstrapping new entrants after IPv4 exhaustion

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 15:28:58 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM, David Huberman <
David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

> > I'd also welcome your input on the proposed text.
>
> The first sentence of the new proposed text:

Thanks for chiming in.

> "Demonstrate the efficient utilization of existing IPv4 block(s) from an
> upstream ISP that total at least half the size of the block being
> requested. "
>
> What is the technical justification for this?  How does the internet
> operate
> better if new entrants are required to use space from an upstream first
> before the policy-making community "allows" them to come to ARIN?

I'm not sure it's all that helpful to ask me to re-justify the entire NRPM.
 That requirement, in a more strict form, is what is present in the NRPM
today.

I'm proposing to take one step toward liberalizing policy in the direction
you seem to favor.  If you're proposing that we move further, it would be
helpful if you could provide an argument for doing so.  If we can get
consensus around additional changes, I'd be happy to do so, but I don't
want to risk the perfect becoming the enemy of "better than things are
today", so I'll be most receptive to tweaks that don't completely do away
with needs assessment just yet (as that has proven very controversial to
date).

> Why can an end-user (whatever that means) obtain a /24 without this
> requirement, but an ISP cannot?

This is a distinction that long pre-dated my involvement with ARIN.  I
think the original rationale was that, since ISPs are basing their requests
on existing subscriber counts for the most part, they should usually
justify their needs based on existing usage, rather than projections.
 End-user needs tend to be more based on deployment of new equipment, etc.
so such backward-looking needs assessment makes less sense.

What do you think ARIN should be using (other than current IP usage) to
evaluate the needs of new and growing ISPs?

> How does this policy text (the whole text, not the snippet above) simplify
> NRPM and allow ARIN to better meet the needs of the operator community
> than it does today?

I believe that, by making it easier for operators of all sorts to qualify
to receive space from ARIN, either from the free pool or via transfer, this
proposal allows ARIN to meet the needs of operators it can't serve directly
today, and to continue meeting the needs of new entrants and smaller
operators as IPv4 becomes increasingly scarce.  I'm open to suggestions for
how to better achieve that.

Thanks,
Scott