[arin-ppml] Bootstrapping new entrants after IPv4 exhaustion

CJ Aronson cja at daydream.com
Sun Nov 24 17:58:09 EST 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Yes, but it limits that use to strictly transitional technology
> deployment, not general IPv4 utilization.

I think this is something we should be discussing.  Right now the only post
run out policy ARIN has is for the last /10.  You  can get a block (very
small) out of this for transition technologies only.  There is no provision
for new entrants except the transfer market in the ARIN region.

So some of us, and Scott started the discussion going, want to clean up the
policy manual so that it makes sense for ARIN post run out.  We could also
make a policy like in the other regions that gives a specific size block to
everyone (or maybe just new entrants?) out of some of the last space.  If
we are going to add the second option then time is really short.

we made the final /10 policy a very long time ago and maybe not everyone
realizes it is just for transition? Do people still think this makes sense?

Thanks!
----Cathy