[arin-ppml] Bootstrapping new entrants after IPv4 exhaustion

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Nov 24 05:51:25 EST 2013

On Nov 23, 2013, at 11:37 PM, joel jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/13, 2:32 PM, CJ Aronson wrote:
>> This is why RIPE and APNIC both have their last /8 policy.  Anyone can
>> get a /22 once out of the last /8 (til there are no more).  Both are now
>> signing up tons of new customers.   Both are generating a large amount
>> of revenue.   The small guys can all get their /22.  Just sayin'
>
> Revenue generation is wierdly, not goal of RIR operation.

Agreed - ARIN's goal is cost-recovery and should not be policy driver.

Setting that aside, the last /8 policies in other regions do seem to reasonably
address aspects of the "new entrant" problem as we hit runout.  It is up to the
community in the ARIN region to determine whether this will be a problem at IPv4
runout in this region, and if so, how to best address the situation.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO