[arin-ppml] Bootstrapping new entrants after IPv4 exhaustion

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Nov 22 14:25:51 EST 2013

On 11/22/13, 08:50 , Brandon Ross wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Jo Rhett wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see some actual documented issues with this. Almost
>> everyone I know is sitting on large amounts of smaller blocks they can
>> easily allocate to people. It's the larger (/21 or greater) blocks
>> which are becoming scarce.
>
> What kind of documentation are you looking for?

I would think an a copy of an email or a letter from the upstream which
confirms the upstream can't/won't provide them address space, for some
reason other than they don't think the customer justifies additional
address space.

It is unfair for ARIN to withhold address space because the upstream has
address space but won't provide it to the requester for what ever
reason.  I think it is reasonable to require some confirming
documentation that the upstream is not providing address space.  You
can't just "say" your ISP is not providing it.

However, if an ISP is saying you don't justify additional address space,
then you shouldn't qualify for address space from ARIN under an
exception like this.

Also, ARIN should be able to refuse if they feel there is collusion
between an ISP and a requester.

Thanks.
David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952