[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Fri May 31 10:21:25 EDT 2013

John,

Thank you for your careful consideration.

My intention certainly is not to undermine current NRPM policy or RSA text
or change RIR operations.  Ideally all of the things taken from RFC 2050 are
high level principles, and are still as true today as they were then.

It seems things may not be that simple.

First let me say this is not my effort, but rather our effort, where our is
both the
community, the AC, and ARIN staff.

To that end, would it be unreasonable to ask for something different in the
staff assessment?

Certainly a standard staff assessment should be done, but could staff also
publish
a separate assessment, of each of the snippets of the draft policy that
would
impact ARIN operations, how it would impact ARIN operations, and if there
are other
events (text) that have superseded this text.

The community will then have:

1. the original principle
2. the history about the departure
3. the now current policy
4. how that might be changed if we reassert the principle in RFC 2050

The community can the first decide if the current policy / ARIN practice
should remain

Assuming it should remain, the community should judge if this is: