[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 30 18:07:07 EDT 2013

On May 30, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Were ARIN ever to attempt meaningful alteration of my legacy address
>> registration without my consent it would find itself responding in
>> court, regardless of any alleged basis in policy for that action. I
>> doubt I'd be the only one to see you there.
>
> I am sure that any policy change that resulted in "meaningful"
> alteration of legacy registration would be the equivalent of the
> nuclear option, and the fallout would be highly toxic to
> someone (and likely everyone).

Gary -

  I imagine that very much depends on what one considers "meaningful";
  for example, the community decided that having an abuse contact on
  each resource record was appropriate, and all resources in the registry
  were updated accordingly.  I do not know what future generations of
  Internet operators will require of the Internet numbers registry,
  but it certainly could involve more "meaningful" changes if that
  is what is adopted.

  On the particular language which raised this issue ("IP addresses are
  valid as long as the criteria continues to be met"), the most likely
  change that would be anticipated by insertation of that into ARIN
  policy would be potential "lack of validity", and it is probably fairly
  important for the community to fully outline its expectations there,
  as could easily be a significant change compared to present operations
  and may be preempted by ARIN's RSA/LRSA terms and conditions if it
  involves ARIN taking action due to lack of utilization of number
  resources.

FYI,
/John

John Curran