[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sun Mar 31 13:01:30 EDT 2013

On 3/30/13 11:57 , Brandon Ross wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, David Farmer wrote:
>> On 3/29/13 10:37 , Brandon Ross wrote:
>> Unless you intended to create a generic ability to reduce your
>> allocations that would apply to everyone and not just to the x-small
>> and xx-small categories.  But that wasn't explicitly clear, and I took
>> it that it was intended to allow low end adjustments.  I'd like other
>> to weigh in on if there should be a generic ability to reduce your
>> IPv6 allocation.
>
> The policy statement reads:
>
> "An LIR may return all or part of an allocation to ARIN..."
>
> How is that not clear?  This part of the policy, as written, allows for
> the return of any allocation, and it was written that way on purpose.

The intent of a policy is communicated more by the problem statement and
comments than what the policy statement itself says.  The problem
statement and comments for this policy seem to all be focused on the
x-small and xx-small fee category issues.  So, while the plain text of
the policy statement quoted above can easily be interpreted to not limit
returns to just x-small an xx-small fee categories, when you include the
additional context of the problem statement and comments it is difficult
to determine if that was the actual intent or just an unintended
consequence of the policy text chosen.

When I was proposing the alternate text I assumed, now I understand
improperly, the intent was limited to returns in the context of the
x-small and xx-small fee category issues.  I now understand that wasn't
the intent.  However, we need to clarify the comments so it is clear
that the return clause is to apply generally and not to just the x-small
and xx-small fee categories.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952