[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Mar 29 16:50:35 EDT 2013

On 3/29/13 15:12 , John Curran wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2013, at 4:03 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 3/29/13 14:34 , John Curran wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless otherwise directed by policy, IPv6 /36 allocations shall be from a reserved /32 and /40 would be from a reserved /36 (just as /32's come from /28 reserved blocks)
>>
>> Bill,
>>
>> That tells me if our policy intent is to have both /36 and /40 allocations for LIRs to be made from a /32 reserved block then we need to explicitly state that in the policy and the last sentence is necessary.
>>
>> Any objection to it staying in the policy statement?
>
> David -
>
>     Can you explain why it is desirable
>     to allocate /40's from a reserved /32?
>
>      Should /36's be from a /28 as well?
>      (Or should all of them be from reserved /28's?)

In my opinion from a policy perspective, all ISPs or other LIRs are
entitled to and should get a /32 allocation.  However, there are a
number of entities where if we require them to take the whole /32
allocation a finical hardship could be created.  Either on ARIN's part
by requiring fees for a /32 to be too low, or by creating a barrier to
entry for these very small entities with fees that are too high.

So, I'm not necessarily thinking of it as making /36 or /40 allocations,
but as these organizations agreeing to only use a /36 or /40 portion of
their /32 allocation in exchange for a reduction or discount in their
fees.  This is why, I don't want them to have to justify expanding from
/40 to /36 or /36 to /32, they are fully justified at /32 already.  This
is a financial consideration and they should be able to change between
/32, /36, and /40 based only on internal business needs.

Therefore, I feel it is a policy requirement that there is at least a
/32 reserved for them in all cases.  I wouldn't be opposed to all ISP's
having a /28 reserved regardless if they are using /32, /36, or /40.
But, I believe /32 is a policy requirement and going to /28 is probably
moving into an operational procedure realm.

I am rationalizing, ISPs getting smaller than a /32, by ensuring they
will have a /32 when/if they need it, without having to change blocks.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952