[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 29 16:30:31 EDT 2013

On Mar 28, 2013, at 02:04 , John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:08 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
>> Right… We can provide an economic incentive to get ISPs to give their
>> customers undersized allocations. It's probably little or no skin off the
>> ISP's nose and the customers probably won't care for years to come.
>> Instead, it reduces innovation in the home gateway space and stifles
>> product development for years (or decades) to come all in the name of
>> ~300 ISPs saving $500/year (a total revenue difference to ARIN of
>> $150,000).
>
> Owen - It's not 300 ISPs; it really has to be all ISPs with the same holdings
> and with /32 as the lower bound, then that will be the _majority of all ISPs_.
> Even with some aggressive efficiencies baked into ARIN's operating costs, the
> fees would be $1500 or more per year as a result.  This is truly a question of
> trying to achieve the lowest fees for these smaller providers, and being able
> to have some amount of stratification allows their fees to be lower than the
> average otherwise.

No, it's ISPs that have a /22 or less of IPv4 space. Any ISP that has more than
that is already subject to higher fees based solely on their IPv4 holdings.
Correct me if I am wrong, but that is currently approximately 300 ISPs.

I agree that this may be a different situation later, when IPv4 is being deprecated,
but I doubt seriously that there will not be another ARIN pricing change between
now and that time.

Owen