[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Mar 28 05:04:08 EDT 2013

On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:08 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Right… We can provide an economic incentive to get ISPs to give their
> customers undersized allocations. It's probably little or no skin off the
> ISP's nose and the customers probably won't care for years to come.
> Instead, it reduces innovation in the home gateway space and stifles
> product development for years (or decades) to come all in the name of
> ~300 ISPs saving $500/year (a total revenue difference to ARIN of
> $150,000).

Owen - It's not 300 ISPs; it really has to be all ISPs with the same holdings
and with /32 as the lower bound, then that will be the _majority of all ISPs_.
Even with some aggressive efficiencies baked into ARIN's operating costs, the
fees would be $1500 or more per year as a result.  This is truly a question of
trying to achieve the lowest fees for these smaller providers, and being able
to have some amount of stratification allows their fees to be lower than the
average otherwise.

FYI,
/John

John Curran