[arin-ppml] fee structure

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Mar 29 12:54:05 EDT 2013

On Mar 29, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply and sorry my initial post didn't make it to the list.
> But to be clear, despite my possession of address rights that preceded ARIN's existence, I do not have the right to vote on policy which affects the registration of those rights unless and until I cede authority to ARIN via a contractual arrangement. Authority which has not been legally tested under the most likely circumstance. The real legal test of authority will come only when ARIN tries to reissue addresses previously allocated to a legacy holder, and is faced with a tortuous interference claim by that holder.  Frankly, whatever the war chest size is, I doubt that ARIN will ever take that step of revoking and reissuing legacy space, for fear of the precedent that would be set.  So absent any evidence that ARIN is actually stopping or preventing legacy transactions which do not comply with policy, the assertions of ARIN authority over legacy space continue to ring  hollow, and Whois accuracy degrades.  Anticipating the response, I will point out that negotiating with participants in a bankruptcy auction to cause changes to an agreement to bring it into compliance with policy is not what I am referring to.

Mike -

  Amusing theories - I will say that ARIN is operating the registry in
  compliance with policy, this does include revocation of resources
  per NRPM 12, and obviously folks that feel they have rights unstated
  have the opportunity to argue that point in appropriate forums.  We
  have yet to have any ruling that ARIN is required to take any action
  in violation of ARIN’s Policies nor have we ever been required to apply
  a different standard regarding legacy versus non-legacy addresses.

> Is the establishment or control of voter rights something addressable through a proposed policy change?

  Policy covers the administration of number resources in the registry
  (i.e. the contents of the Number Resource Policy Manual); governance
  of the organization is subject to the ARIN Board of Trustees, and this
  covers such matters as fees and membership.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO