[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Mar 27 17:14:58 EDT 2013

On 3/27/13 15:16 , William Herrin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>> Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3
>> Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs
>>
>> Part 1 brings ARIN's allocation policies in line with the upcoming fee
>> schedule so that it is possible to qualify as every level of ISP while
>> holding IPv6 number resources.
>
> This looks like a billing policy problem. The technical (i.e. number
> policy) case for a smaller-than-/32 ISP allocation seems weak to me.
>
> IMO, this problem could (and should!) be solved by billing
> organizations with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses only for the IPv4
> addresses until IPv6 is prevalent enough to support its own costs.
> ARIN's board is -supposed- to optimize billing policy for the sake of
> technically sound number policy, not the other way around.

The xx-small category was created to lower the costs of the smallest
ISPs to something more equatable with what large end users would pay.
There are only a few hundred ISPs (~400) in the XX-small category, with
a /22 or less for IPv4. A /48 is not reasonable for an IPv6 allocation
even for these xx-small ISPs, but A /40 while not the best seems
reasonable. This would require both a modified version of this policy
change and a fee schedule tweak of the xx-small fee category to "/40 or
smaller" for IPv6.

Changing xx-small to "/40 or smaller" for IPv6 has added advantages for
most end users as well.  The vast majority of end user assignments would
fall under the xx-small category, something like 98%, at least looking
at the data provided at the Dallas PPM.  And most importantly an end
user that could qualify for a /44 or /40 wouldn't be tempted to only ask
for a /48 just to save $500.

So as shepherd for this policy, I would propose to change it from /48 to
/40 and change the rational suggesting that the board tweak the proposed
fee schedule to have "/40 or smaller" for IPv6 in the xx-small fee
category.  If there is consensus for this change by next week I will get
the change put in before the April 5th publication freeze for the
Barbados PPM materials.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952