[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 26 12:58:24 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> On 6/26/13 11:14 , William Herrin wrote:
>>> I think there are even higher principle that we should be considering,
>>> such as
>
>>> - Network operators, public or private, are entitled to unique Internet
>>> number resource from the Internet Registry System to connect users (or
>>> consumers) and devices to the Internet.
>>
>> Are these not matters of network infrastructure policy outside ARIN's
>> scope?
>
> Maybe the first one is, but if the second one is then why does the registry
> even exist?

Right, my mistake, I misread the second one. I would restate the second one as:

Sustainability. The registry's process must assure that number
resources remain available to registrants throughout the life cycle of
the protocols which use them.

Does that acceptably capture your point?

Thanks,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004