[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Jun 26 12:49:06 EDT 2013

On 6/26/13 11:14 , William Herrin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:11 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>> On 6/7/13 09:16 , Chris Grundemann wrote:
>>
>>> 1) Do you support the principle of efficient utilization based on need
>>> (Conservation/Sustainability)?
>>

>> Yes, however the focus on conservation over other considerations exemplified
>> by current IPv4 policy is an artifact of the IPv4 free pool run-out.  Once
>> the ARIN IPv4 free pool is gone, other considerations will need more sway in
>> policy, such as the fact that IPv4 addresses will have to be purchased on
>> the transfer market.  This means policies that ensuring a fluid and
>> functional market are more important than conservation.
>
> Hi David,
>
> Would you mind expanding on that a bit? If an IPv4 transfer market
> could be shown to exhibit better liquidity in the absence of any ARIN
> needs analysis (it hasn't, but for the sake of the argument assume
> someone offered a satisfactory proof that it would) would you come
> down on the side of better liquidity (addresses are available to be
> acquired) or documented need like we've applied to the free pool this
> past decade (only those who deserve addresses get them)?

Simply, better liquidity no.  If there is sufficient liquidity for the
market to function reasonably, without completely abandoning documented
need, then I wouldn't want to abandon documented need.  If there is
insufficient liquidity for the market to function reasonably, then I
would consider even completely abandoning documented need.

So, I'm willing to see radical changes, but not completely abandoning
documented need unless the market can't function, which I'm skeptical is
the case.

>> I think there are even higher principle that we should be considering, such
>> as.
>>
>> - All Internet users (or consumers) and devices connected to the Internet
>> are entitled to unique internet number resource assigned to them from a
>> network operator.
>>
>> - Network operators, public or private, are entitled to unique Internet
>> number resource from the Internet Registry System to connect users (or
>> consumers) and devices to the Internet.
>
> Are these not matters of network infrastructure policy outside ARIN's scope?

Maybe the first one is, but if the second one is then why does the
registry even exist?

Put another way;

Internet Users get addresses from Network operators, network operators
get address from the registry to service customers.  As an end user, if
you operate a network you can get addresses from the registry, and your
customers are internal.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952