[arin-ppml] Territorialize the Internet (Was: Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 26 02:29:51 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> On 6/25/13 21:24 , William Herrin wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>>> How do we find DETENTE between the worlds of the Internet and of
>>> nation-states?  Is requiring accurate documentation in the registry of
>>> what
>>> jurisdiction addresses are use in a reasonable start to such detente?
>>
>> If the legislatures and courts in those jurisdictions feel that it's
>> so then sure. But that isn't the kind of decision an NGO should take
>> upon itself and it vastly exceeds the scope of job our registrants are
>> paying us to perform for them.
>
> Why is this overreaching?

Hi David,

It would be a misuse of ARIN's authority to direct the construction of
a law enforcement database. That's a fundamentally government
function.

Facilitating law enforcement access to the data we collect for our own
purposes is one thing. Collecting additional, putatively private data
whose sole legitimate consumer is law enforcement is quite another.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004