[arin-ppml] Territorialize the Internet (Was: Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jun 25 23:22:38 EDT 2013

On 6/25/13 21:24 , William Herrin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>> How do we find DETENTE between the worlds of the Internet and of
>> nation-states?  Is requiring accurate documentation in the registry of what
>> jurisdiction addresses are use in a reasonable start to such detente?
>
> Hi David,
>
> If the legislatures and courts in those jurisdictions feel that it's
> so then sure. But that isn't the kind of decision an NGO should take
> upon itself and it vastly exceeds the scope of job our registrants are
> paying us to perform for them.

Why is this overreaching?  In my view it is only a minor change to our
current operational requirements for registration of sub-assignments. If
we leave the issue to legislatures and courts (the Government) to solve
then they will solve it and in the long term you ensure a
territorialized Internet, that some of us hope to avoid.

I'm not sure what I'm proposing will avoid a territorialized Internet,
but I sure leaving the issue to the governments will lead to a
territorialized Internet.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952