[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jun 25 14:31:07 EDT 2013

On Jun 25, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net> wrote:

> On 6/25/13 10:53 AM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>
>> The proposal originator said, "Although we represent law enforcement,
>> and have brought forth this issue based upon our concerns and
>> experience from a law enforcement perspective, this is a problem in
>> which the entire ARIN community has a stake".
>
> If "law enforcement" is informed by the original agency of government
> (ARPA or DARPA, or the NSF if originating is taken to mean the point
> of delegation of the continuous operational practice of the address
> and autonomous system number resource allocation to ARIN), then this
> expression of policy interest would, in theory, be sufficiently well
> informed.
>
> When the proposal originator has demonstrated that the "law
> enforcement perspective" includes, and is controlled by, the purpose
> of government at the time of delegation, from which the proposal
> originator, of necessity, argues has been deviated from by the
> delegated rule maker, ARIN, then consideration may be appropriate.

Incorrect.  Input into policy issues are welcome from all agencies of all
governments, not simply those which may have unique authority aspects due
to the history of the Internet Number Registry System.  Please evaluate
the proposed policy change on the basis of the arguments presented.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO