[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Tue Jun 25 14:17:36 EDT 2013

On 6/25/13 10:53 AM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> The proposal originator said, "Although we represent law enforcement,
> and have brought forth this issue based upon our concerns and
> experience from a law enforcement perspective, this is a problem in
> which the entire ARIN community has a stake".

If "law enforcement" is informed by the original agency of government
(ARPA or DARPA, or the NSF if originating is taken to mean the point
of delegation of the continuous operational practice of the address
and autonomous system number resource allocation to ARIN), then this
expression of policy interest would, in theory, be sufficiently well
informed.

When the proposal originator has demonstrated that the "law
enforcement perspective" includes, and is controlled by, the purpose
of government at the time of delegation, from which the proposal
originator, of necessity, argues has been deviated from by the
delegated rule maker, ARIN, then consideration may be appropriate.

Inter alia, the relationship of the resource argued by the proposal
originator to be improperly allocated and the resources within the
scope of the proposal appears to be one of incommensurates.

Eric