[arin-ppml] A Redefinition of IPv4 Need postARINrun-out(was:Re:Against2013-4)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 19 13:17:08 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2013, at 8:12 AM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
>> Sometimes they buy the ability to route and use the (legacy) addresses
>> without changing that line in the Whois database.
>
> Now that's quite interesting, given that actually anyone can configure their
> equipment
> to originate routes to any IP address block they wish, and to my knowledge
> there is no
> party that can assure (on behalf of all ISPs globally) that it will be
> actually accepted.

Hi John,

This is part of the service one buys upon telling an ISP you want a
/24 for multihoming per ARIN NRPM 4.2.3.6. Not a fresh, new or
dangerous concept, nor one that fails to work.

IIRC, there was an effort to prevent this once... ISPs that wouldn't
accept these /24 BGP announcements from their peers. But that
collapsed as its enforcers realized it was costing them business and
is, today, a historical footnote.

Where the block in question is from a legacy registration, what
contractual or legal obligation prevents the holder from making a
lawful assignment larger than /24, without a multihoming (or any
other) requirement? And in perpetuity?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004