[arin-ppml] A Redefinition of IPv4 Need postARINrun-out(was:Re:Against2013-4)

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Wed Jun 19 09:12:13 EDT 2013

Hi John,

Sometimes Buyers buy the listing in the ARIN database- that's a policy-based sale.
Sometimes they buy the ability to route and use the (legacy) addresses without changing that line in the Whois database.

The decision which to choose is often, but not always, based on the needs test.
For example, recently a buyer came to me looking for legacy space with the understanding that he could not justify under ARIN policies without substantial and expensive renumbering work on his part. He thought it wiser to consider simply buying the addresses "off the books" if it was less expensive and onerous than the renumbering. Now we can consider whether this is the kind of behavior the community wishes to allow or to incentivize or disincentivize, but we should not ignore the presence of these players and their affect on Whois integrity if we keep in place the same policy designed for free pool addresses where the profit motive could be ignored.

We seem to be trying to protect the Internet from the profit motives of "hoarders and speculators" while ignoring the effect of profit motives of other players here. If a buyer wants to get cash for addresses, and a seller wants to pay cash for addresses, guess what happens?

But unless somebody like this volunteers evidence that they engaged in a non-policy transfer to a policy development board for an organization whose policies they don't recognize as binding them, well I guess it doesn't happen.

We are stewards of the registry first.

Regards,
Mike