[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 12 16:15:15 EDT 2013

Hi Chris,

I haven't seen any responses for a couple days, so here's the current count:

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Do you support the principle of efficient utilization based on need
> (Conservation/Sustainability)?

7 of 20 respondents in favor, 12 opposed, 1 did not offer an answer
that could be interpreted as support or opposition.

17 of 20 respondents used language that could reasonably be
interpreted as supporting sustainable allocation as a principle,
independent of the "needs" question. 1 offered language opposed.

9 respondents could be reasonably understood to favor
conservation as a principle. 4 were opposed.

> 2) Do you support the principle of hierarchical aggregation (Routability)?

5 of 20 respondents favor, 14 of 20 oppose heirarchy, aggregation or
both as a principle but are not necessarily against its current
practice.

17 of 20 used various language to express a view that supporting
routing scalability is an appropriate principle. 2 offered the view
that ARIN activity should not be informed by routing issues.

> 3) Do you support the principle of uniqueness (Registration)?

19 of 20 favor. 0 oppose.

> 4) Do you support the goal of balancing these principles with each
> other under the overarching principle of Stewardship?

8 of 20 support, 10 of 20 oppose, 2 non-answers. Most answers were
nuanced such that the yeses were conditional on the respondent's
unique interpretation of the word stewardship and the no's were along
the lines of "define this better."

I also read the report from the recent policy consultation. Only one
person not affiliated with ARIN spoke, and he offered questions, not
answers. If the show of hands count was published, I missed it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004