[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 7 11:47:16 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Do you support the principle of efficient utilization based on need
> (Conservation/Sustainability)?

No. I support the practice but not the principle. Use of the concept
of justified need should be pragmatic not dogmatic. Where another
practice can be shown to be more effective at achieving
sustainability, no guiding principles should dissuade us from using
it.

> 2) Do you support the principle of hierarchical aggregation (Routability)?

No. I support facilitating scalable routing as a principle. Depending
on the technology of the day and the intended use of the addresses,
this might or might not include aggregation of any sort, let alone
hierarchical aggregation.

> 3) Do you support the principle of uniqueness (Registration)?

Yes.

> 4) Do you support the goal of balancing these principles with each
> other under the overarching principle of Stewardship?

No. As offered, the notion of stewardship is fuzzy bordering
incoherent. It justifies anything and nothing. If it's desirable to
offer guidance as to how to break a tie when principles conflict then
let's do just that instead.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004