[arin-ppml] Regarding IPv4 known available for specified transfer (was: Re: Against 2013-4)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 5 18:53:21 EDT 2013

On Jun 5, 2013, at 12:11 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> The point is: show me a specific /24 I can buy right now. If the
> market is working well enough to seriously consider ditching the
> needs-basis as Milton would have us do then here is a specific /24
> that armed with an ARIN needs approval I can go buy right now. So
> ditch the competing theories and show me one.

Bill, I would not expect to find a huge pending market, since ARIN
still has space in its free pool available and can satisfy your
request for /24 if you meet the policy requirements.

Having noted such, there are folks who are indeed standing by ready
to provide resources into this growing market; in some cases, it may
have taken organizations substantial effort to free up these blocks
to have them now ready.

>From <https://www.arin.net/resources/transfer_listing/listings.txt> -

   CIDR Blocks Listed for Transfer

   Quantity           Block Size
    9                     /16
    1                     /13

There are presently 9 /16's which are definitely available and
one /13.  I do not know if any of those parties will consider
providing you a /24 and breaking up these blocks as a result.

Note - There are also likely other blocks available that various
facilitators know about, as there is no requirement for parties
to use the Specified Transfer Listing Service.

> If there is one available, if it exists, then refusing to weaken the
> so-called needs basis for buying it is flat-earth policy. We have
> addresses there being underutilized *because* of ARIN policy. We
> should iteratively weaken the needs basis for transfers until and
> unless we reach a point where its too weak to keep out hoarders and
> the market dries up.
>
> On the other hand, if I can't go buy a /24 right now then the current
> market design is already insufficient to create liquidity. Milton has
> no right to expect us to accept that with all controls released things
> will magically work out. There are far too many historical examples
> where things didn't. He can use his vaunted expertise to figure out
> how to create market liquidity with the controls still in place before
> we consider relaxing them.

(I have no view on the draft policy under discussion, and am providing
this information solely for accuracy of the community discussion of same.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO