[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 5 13:11:01 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> If I wanted to buy a /24 right now (with needs justification) where
>> would I go to find one? Who has one for sale?
>
> I'm not sure I understand the point of this question.

Hi Jason,

The point is: show me a specific /24 I can buy right now. If the
market is working well enough to seriously consider ditching the
needs-basis as Milton would have us do then here is a specific /24
that armed with an ARIN needs approval I can go buy right now. So
ditch the competing theories and show me one.

If there is one available, if it exists, then refusing to weaken the
so-called needs basis for buying it is flat-earth policy. We have
addresses there being underutilized *because* of ARIN policy. We
should iteratively weaken the needs basis for transfers until and
unless we reach a point where its too weak to keep out hoarders and
the market dries up.

On the other hand, if I can't go buy a /24 right now then the current
market design is already insufficient to create liquidity. Milton has
no right to expect us to accept that with all controls released things
will magically work out. There are far too many historical examples
where things didn't. He can use his vaunted expertise to figure out
how to create market liquidity with the controls still in place before
we consider relaxing them.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004