[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 21:35:30 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am in favor of needs basis being deprecated for  IPv6, and newer
> more appropriately sized number resource pools,   and replaced with
> something else that will provide conservation.

I think the better question is, what are we trying to preserve in IPv6.

Raw address space?  No point for the forseeable future (40+ year protocol
lifetime? ...)

Routing table growth?  ... Yes.

Complexity of allocations?  Arguably yes.

I am not in a position to do the calcs due to not knowing where all the raw
data is, but to me it would be useful to see what sizes we might consider
giving to ISPs and to independent multihomed entities such that it is
unlikely that either of those organization types would ever need another
allocation; what does that do to estimated lifetime of the address space,
and what does that do to routing table growth models?

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com