[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 4 17:40:53 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:
> But I feel this is best accomplished in small steps, and the
> smallest step is distilling out the current principles and putting
> them in the NRPM.  Once we do that they exist in the NRPM
> and under the current PDP can be changed through community
> support, like any other part of the PDP.

Hi Jason,

Two quick points:

I think goals 1 and 3 from
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-housley-rfc2050bis/?include_text=1
are pretty reasonable as written. Are you open to abandoning your text
in favor of that text?

Hierarchy is still a dead duck. If you want to talk sensibly about the
registry's role in routing, start with the need for routing
scalability. Then make the dual points that BGP scales only through
aggregation at the source and that the registry doesn't set routing
policy, ISPs do. Then stop. Leave hierarchy out of it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004