[arin-ppml] Initial ISP Allocation Policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jul 22 17:23:52 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Randy Carpenter <rcarpen at network1.net> wrote:
>> More, nearly all rural ISPs can contract a private point to point line
>> to the nearest city with a carrier-neutral data center and pick up
>> another ISP there.
>
> Not for anything even close to reasonable cost. We're talking 100+ miles of fiber that would have to be newly installed.

Hi Randy,

At the customer counts you're talking about (more than a /22, less
than a /20) you can keep email and web running with a handful of T1s.
Or splurge on a T3. Neither requires construction of 100 miles of new
fiber. It isn't N+1 but it's a meaningful reliability enhancement for
the most critical services and it qualifies you as multihomed from
ARIN's perspective.

>> What you mean is that they can't get a second upstream at a price
>> that's viable for their customer base.
>
> Of course that is what I mean. If the companies I am talking about
> had billions of dollars, then there would not be an issue. But, they
> would also no longer be the companies I am talking about.

Thousands. N+1 costs more but let's keep our eyes on the ball. To be
multihomed you need thousands of dollars. Even way out in the boonies.

>> At any rate, if Daniel ties the two proposals together, I'd bet he'll
>> sink them both. Since the disucssion seems to focus on unifying
>> registrant classes rather than reducing minimum allocations, I'd
>> recommend he split the latter out.
>
> I agree that separate proposals may be better.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004