[arin-ppml] Initial ISP Allocation Policy

Alexander, Daniel Daniel_Alexander at Cable.Comcast.com
Mon Jul 22 15:08:12 EDT 2013

Hello Bill,

Here is my understanding of the factors I took into consideration
regarding the minimum settings.

* AFRINIC and LACNIC currently have a /22 minimum with no SH/MH
distinction.
* RIPE NCC has a /22 minimum, which also happens to be their maximum as
they are in their last /8 policy phase. As I understand it, a /21 minimum
would apply to a transfer.
* APNIC has a /24 minimum with a /22 maximum as part of their depletion
phase policies. The /24 minimum would apply to transfers without a SH/MH
distinction.
* Existing aggregated blocks can already be broken down to /24's through
the Inter-RIR transfer policy regardless of whether they are SH or MH.
* The impact in the ARIN region would be the number of single-homed
organizations who could qualify for a /22, but cannot qualify for a /20,
and are willing to add the additional financial obligation of being an
ARIN Org and possibly having to pay for a transfer.

The question that comes to mind is whether this change would have a
scalable impact on the existing, estimated, 450K routes already in the
table? My sense is that it would not which is how I got to the draft
language.

Sincerely,
Dan Alexander
Speaking only for myself