[arin-ppml] Initial ISP Allocation Policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jul 22 13:39:23 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Alexander, Daniel
<Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> * Minimum allocation for a single-homed ISP is reduced from a /20 to /22.
> * Minimum assignments for a single-homed end user is reduced from a /20 to
> a /22.

Hi Daniel,

I strongly disagree with these two proposed changes. There is no
technical penalty for allowing multihomed registrants to get their
addresses directly from ARIN: their routes will be present in the BGP
table regardless of where they get the addresses. This is not true of
single-homed end users who would generally not have a presence in the
BGP table unless they get their addresses from the RIR.

As we've discussed principles in recent weeks, we have broad agreement
that it's ARIN's job to make scalable routing possible. Right now,
that means having single-homed users get their numbers from their
upstream. The changes would run counter without apparent gain in one
of the other areas discussed as candidate principles.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004