[arin-ppml] Initial ISP Allocation Policy

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Jul 17 17:30:51 EDT 2013

On 7/17/13 16:13 , William Herrin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 17, 2013, at 2:36 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>> Google assignes IP addresses to its servers for SSL. Google owns the
>>> servers. The servers cache content from other servers they don't own
>>> and index it for searching by google users.
>>>
>>> ISP or end-user? Why?
>>
>> Same answer as for Akamai and for the same reasons.
>>
>> OTOH, if you asked about Google Fiber, then clearly that is an ISP and it is a different situation.
>
> Google Fiber is a small part of the company. Should they have to
> register with ARIN separately just for that one small piece?

Should they have to no.  But they very well may want to for any number
of reasons, that go way beyond RIR policy issues.

There are many organizations that have multiple business units that
independently register as separate organizations with ARIN or the other
RIRs, it seems reasonable that some of those logically separate
organizations could be ISPs and others could be end-users. This
flexibility should not be eliminated either, so let's be careful.

A quick reminder, for many reasons it is better if we don't call out
specific organization names in examples on PPML.  Yes, it can make your
examples more clear, but you also risk mis-characterizing the situation
of real organizations.  And, worst case you can even go as far as
creating legal issues.  If possible it is better to avoid specific
organization names.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952