[arin-ppml] Initial ISP Allocation Policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jul 17 17:20:38 EDT 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 4:43 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 17, 2013, at 2:36 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>> Google assignes IP addresses to its servers for SSL. Google owns the
>>> servers. The servers cache content from other servers they don't own
>>> and index it for searching by google users.
>>>
>>> ISP or end-user? Why?
>>
>> Same answer as for Akamai and for the same reasons.
>>
>> OTOH, if you asked about Google Fiber, then clearly that is an ISP and it is a different situation.
>
> Google Fiber is a small part of the company. Should they have to
> register with ARIN separately just for that one small piece?

Now we get to the more interesting situation. I would say that it is up to Google to choose whether to treat GF as a separate business unit with a separate organizational relationship with ARIN or whether to let GF make all of Google into an ISP for purposes of categorization. I think that the latter would unnecessarily complicate life for Google's other business units that mostly look like end-users, but that's Google's business decision to make and not mine.

Owen