[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jul 13 12:52:15 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:03 AM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> I believe some form of conservation is applicable for all "number
> resources", even ASNs.

Hi David,

I don't agree. I'm not the only one. And prior documents on the
subject don't extend the concept beyond addresses.

> I've provided what I think is a plausible situation where conservation
> applied to ASNs could be beneficial.  Can you provide a plausible situation
> where conservation applied to ASNs could be harmful?

Of course. It's harmful during every single ASN assignment. And not
just theoretically. Preparing documentation which justifies an ASN
assignment is not free. Processing the request and its documentation
is not free either.

Without a conservation concern, ASN requests are pro-forma. ARIN can
streamlining the process: fast and cheap.

> A Hypothetical; Is it in the interest of Internet for a bankruptcy trustee
> to sell IPv4 addresses to a snow shoe spammer?  How is something like this
> prevented without a concept of conservation for IPv4?

Registration. Conservation doesn't prevent the snow shoe spammer --
his use is technically justified the same way the IP-per-SSL-cert is
justified. But he's rather motivated to remain anonymous.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004