[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: Fair Distribution

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Fri Jul 12 16:53:43 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>

> > 3. Are there other concepts, principles, or goals that were missing?
>
> Fairness and process integrity through transparency. Touched on it,
> but if we're describing principles rather than goals it's more
> centrally important.
>

> >    0.2 Fair Distribution
> >
> >    The principle of Fair Distribution is the precept that the
> >    fundamental purpose of Internet number resources management is to
> >    distributed unique number resources in a fair and impartial manner
> >    to entities building and operating networks, for benefit of all
> >    Internet users equally, and thereby facilitating the growth and
> >    sustainability of the Internet.
>
> How does this statement square with the continued existence of two
> very unequal classes of registrants?
>
> IMO, in the past, the community has agreed that those who got legacy
address
did so under a different set of rules.  The LRSA was an attempt to bring
them
into the fold without forcing them to lose the current legacy addresses
they
hold.  Previous attempts to force them to renumber, consolidate, or return
have not been supported, and are even less likely now that they might have
value on the market.

Going forward, subsequent allocations require efficient utilization of
current address
space, and legacy space is included in that calculation.

Additionally, when a specified transfer happens, the receiving party must
justify the
need for address, even if it is legacy space.

These two rules further reduce the unequalness.

To allow transfers with no needs based justification of legacy space is to
 maintain these two unequal classes, and make the privilege transferrable.

Sounds like we have three choices here:
1. remove the inequality
    - claw back under utilized legacy IPv4 space
2. minimize the inequality
    - require legacy holders to be efficiently utilized  before they get
additional space
       (some legacy holders are growing, and have AIRN space)
    - hope this minimizes the inequality over time
3. maintain the inequality
    - Allow legacy addresses to transfer including the right to keep them
under utilized

Current policy is option 2.

This proposal does not seek to change that.

__Jason