[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jul 12 12:58:15 EDT 2013

-----Original Message-----

>> As I understand it, ARIN 2013-4 is a rather bizarre attempt to indirectly modify the content of an >>update to RFC 2050 in another venue. No such modification is needed because goals and principles
>> are already fully embedded in the NRPM. Can someone tell me why we are having this conversation?

>Well, one obvious reason why we are having this conversation is that the current section 4.1 (which you >reference above) contains a pointer to RFC2050, which will soon be deprecated. Rather than lose that >pointer, this policy proposal seeks to codify the most relevant bits of RFC 2050 (the principles as we see >them today) into the NRPM.

Meh. IPv4, like 2050, will be deprecated eventually too. I think it's best to keep that reference in there; both are artifacts of an earlier era. Besides, I think it is good to keep the goals and principles applicable to IPv4 and IPv6 distinct.

>Another reason is that it would seem to make sense to have a single set of over arching principles for >number resource management by the RIR in one place, and then have IPv4, IPv6, and ASN specifics in >each of those sections.

Obviously, I don't agree. We can't agree on the principles, the goals and techniques and principles seem to vary across all 3 of those domains.

>Finally, we are having this discussion because many appear to find it relevant and important, as an AC >member discussing proposed policy changes is kind of your thing now. ;-)

;-) Maybe my comments will alter their perception of its relevance and importance.