[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 11 10:52:09 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Bill Darte <billdarte at gmail.com> wrote:
> No offense taken....and I assure you that it was not a smart ass comment,
> but a somewhat cynical observation of history.  But I do not see how you
> continue to suggest that the principles of rfc 2050 are not just that.

Hi Bill,

I think my first hint is that RFC 2050 describes the section we're
using as our original source material as "goals" rather than
"principles." Indeed, the authors used the word "principles" nowhere
in the document.

> Conservation is a principle which has as its goal longevity of address
> availability.

Conservation is a technique which has maximizing the longevity of the
free pool as the goal it serves. You have to do mental contortions
with the concept to apply it past the free pool: recycling only serves
conservation where it reduces the rate of consumption of the
non-renewable resource.

>  Routability is a principle which help preserve proper
> functioning of the Internet mesh, a goal.

That we must support the proper functioning of the Internet mesh is
belief, a principle. Allocating addresses in a manner which permits
scalable routing is an objective, a goal in pursuit of that belief.

>  And Registration as a principle
> has as its goal the unique usage of numbers.

Registration is a technique which has unique usage as its goal. ULA's
stochastic uniqueness is an alternate technique. Neither is a belief
system.

>  I believe that they are
> principles upon which our goals have been pinned and have been effective in
> my opinion.

I think conflating principles, goals and techniques all together with
"stewardship" to sort it out will encourage stewardship to sort it
out... regularly instead of just in exceptional cases. And once we get
used to overriding goals in the name of stewardship, our "principles"
really do get ditched.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004