[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

Bill Darte billdarte at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 21:30:15 EDT 2013

Bill,

IMO we are doing it, first because the replacement protocol was not
backward compatible, second because that protocol was not ready soon
enough, third because people failed to take the transition seriously, and
fourth...because we still need to for the reason mentioned.  But, because
we need to now does not suggest that we should codify process and practice
which entrenches the legacy ever deeper.  Still, I admit that this was
completely foreseeable and even predictable circumstance.  When large scale
solutions to any problem are delayed beyond the significant needs of an
industry, then point solutions will be sought.  And when deployed, they too
become legacy by their investments and when the large scale solution
finally arrives...it is simply one more point solution.  I have witnessed
this many times in our industry since 1984.

So while I see that it must be what it is....I do not support the thesis
that this circumstance is the way it should be and I do not support
abandoning the principles that have got us here simply because there is a
cry for open market capitalism as the cure all for everything including
number resource issues that we face.

bd