[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jul 9 10:25:42 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Bill Darte <billdarte at gmail.com> wrote:
> To me, the terms are near synonyms,

Hi Bill,

They're not, as you prove in the rest of the sentence:

> but if anything....sustainable use as it
> relates to IPv4 suggests that we intend to continue the use of IPv4 in
> perpetuity....

Perpetuity, no. Indefinitely, yes. IMO, our job with a given number
resource isn't done until the protocols using that resource are
abandoned. From where I sit, declaring it over merely because the
initial free pool has been exhausted would be rather a gross failure
in stewardship.

Meh, we did the best we could with conservation. Not our problem any
more. See ya!

Except it isn't "see ya." With IPv4 depletion we continue registration
and are fine-tuning transfer processes. Why are we doing that if the
job is not about sustainable use?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004