[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Jul 8 18:10:09 EDT 2013

On 7/8/13 17:02 , David Farmer wrote:
> My first reaction is I mostly like the update, but I immediately see a
> few nits;

I launched my first reaction a little too soon; more below.

> On 7/8/13 16:34 , ARIN wrote:
>> Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4
>> RIR Principles
>>
>> Policy Statement (v2 8 July 2013):
>>
>> Section 0: Principles and Goals of the Internet Registry System
>>
>> 0.1. Registration
>
> Both Registration & Conservation are identified as sub-sections 0.1.
>
>> The principle of registration guarantees the uniqueness of Internet
>> number resources.
>>
>> Provision of this public registry documenting Internet number resource
>> allocation, reallocation, assignment, and reassignment is necessary:
>>
>> a) to ensure uniqueness and to to provide operational staff with
>> information on who is using each number resource,
>
> There is an implied and between each of these, so make a) a compound
> clause seems unnecessary and somewhat confusing.  I'd suggest split a)
> into two, shifting the rest down, proving;
>
> a) to ensure uniqueness,
> b) to provide operational staff with information on who is using each
> number resource,
>
> This provides more punch to a) and just seems cleaner.
>
>> b) to provide a contact in case of operational/security problems,
>> c) to provide the transparency required to ensure that Internet number
>> resources are efficiently utilized, and
>> d) to assist in IP allocation studies.

It's even worse that I initially saw, the second clause of a) duplicates b)

so it should be;

a) to ensure uniqueness,

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952