[arin-ppml] 8.2 Transfers at ARIN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Dec 9 17:53:32 EST 2013

On Dec 10, 2013, at 5:52 AM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Thank you for the stats.  They mostly tell the story I was thinking they would:  a very low approval and completion rate.  And from that data, PPML can build (and ask) for solutions so that Whois can be made more accurate, and transfer requests can perhaps enjoy a much higher approval and completion percentage.

It's not often that I see >50% characterized as a "very low" percentage rate.
If one is presuming that 100% should be approved, then that characterization
makes sense. Given that a number of NRPM 8.2 applicants have been shown to be
not in good faith during the application process, I am quite pleased that the
completion rate is less than 100%.

> But before that happens, can you please comment on the statistical trend of the last 3 years, where we went up 10% in both approvals and completions? Giving best guesses, to what factors does ARIN attribute these excellent increases? IOW, what changed?

Anecdotally, it would be the presence of more parties interested in accurate
resource records in early preparation for NRPM 8.3/8.4 transfer market use.
The combination of that increased interest along with our consistent rejection
of specious/undocumented requests, increases the overall ratio of good-faith
diligent requesters making use of the NRPM 8.2 policy and thus approval ratio.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO