[arin-ppml] 8.2 Transfers at ARIN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Dec 9 16:43:55 EST 2013

On Dec 5, 2013, at 4:27 AM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

>> We recently responded on 27 November 2013 to your request for statistics related to new entrants; are your policy development efforts in that area now concluded?
>
> My efforts related to NRPM section 4 (and by extension, section 8 which relies on section 4) are not concluded.  I think this community has a lot of work to do to fix the problems network operators are encountering when coming up against both marketplace reality and ARIN policy reality.  As a simple perusal of the PPML archives will reveal, the stats ARIN provided prompted discussion among participating PPML members. This discussion continues today, and will continue through Chicago and future PDP cycles.
>
> I could submit a policy proposal that includes the 4.2 and 4.3 changes I have recently advocated on the mailing list, but doing so right now is a bit premature, I think.  (And perhaps it's not, but I think it's better to be conservative.)   More discussion is needed.  A better understanding of the big picture is needed.  Remember: section 4 directly affects section 8 requests.  More data is needed for the big picture to be understood, and today's stats request goes towards that goal.
>
> I think I can safely assert that all of us look forward to ARIN's continuing cooperation by gathering and posting data to PPML when requested so we can all understand where the deficiencies (and successes) lie.

David -

  We're happy to provide additional information to aid in number resource policy
  development, but note that we also have to efficiently manage finite resources
  and thus the pace of such ad-hoc reporting...

  Attached is the information sought regarding 8.2 transfer requests, approvals,
  and completions, broken down by year including 2013 YTD.

Thanks! (and Happy Holidays!)
/John

John Curran
President and CEO