[arin-ppml] IANA advice re: Post Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Wed Dec 4 08:37:45 EST 2013

It seems fairly clear to me that that the policy instructs IANA to make the
first allocation immediately upon one RIR dropping below a /9 inventory,
and there after must wait until the next 6-month window opens up for
subsequent allocations.

The window serves to allow IANA to collect IPs in its Recovered IPv4 Pool,
and then have fixed point in time when the amount of IPs is totaled and
divided.  At the time the first RIR drops below a /9, IANA will have
already had sufficient time to collect IPs.

It also seems obvious to me that, there is a fair bit of complexity in
describing this behavior and if the authors desired IANA to wait for the
next 6-month window to open, then this policy text would have been much
shorter.

If you think this policy suggests the IANA should wait for the next 6-month
window to open, please speak up.

Thanks,

__Jason