[arin-ppml] 2013-5 LIR/ISP and End-user Definitions

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Aug 15 15:10:49 EDT 2013

On Aug 15, 2013 11:32 AM, "David Huberman" <David.Huberman at microsoft.com>
wrote:
> The text avoids the root of the problem trying to be
> solved: the notions of "ISP" and "end-user" are
> anachronisms in today's internetworking world.
> In my opinion, there should be no such delineations.
> Policy should treat networks as just that: networks.

Hi David,

I agree that we should work toward eliminating the distinction. It seems
like this would declare a default so that instead of trying to find a "best
fit" ARIN would say that "everyone not clearly an end user is the default."
Over time, end-user can be tightened up or eliminated leaving a single
functional user type. Is that not a reasonable step in the right direction?

Regards,
Bill Herrin