[arin-ppml] Clean up definition of LIR/ISP vs. end-user

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Tue Apr 30 13:05:50 EDT 2013

> They generally are, reference the "LIR" definition in NRPM 2.4
> <https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#two4>
>
> "A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an IR that primarily assigns address
space to
> the users of the network services that it provides. LIRs are generally
Internet
> Service Providers (ISPs), whose customers are primarily end users and
> possibly other ISPs."
>
> and then NRPM 6.5 -
>
> "6.5.1. Terminology
>
>  . The terms ISP and LIR are used interchangeably in this document and any
>    use of either term shall be construed to include both meanings."
>
> > My vote goes towards a global replacement of "ISP" in all ARIN documents
> with the term "LIR" in order to match the language used by the other 4
RIRs.
> I would then support an brief statement early in the NRPM which explains
> that "The term LIR has replaced the term ISP formerly used in ARIN policy
> documents in order to simplify the global understanding of RIR policy
> documents.  The definition of LIR exactly matches the previous definition
of
> ISP for the purpose of the ARIN NRPM."  (well, something like that, you
get
> the point).
>

> Easy enough to accomplish, if folks believe that the end result will be
more
> clear than present approach.

While I agree that from the perspective of 'this allocation is for 3rd party
use' leads to LIR==ISP, the justification process and unit sizes were
historically a little different in that ISP customer ~= /30 - /32 blocks
while typical LIR customer  ~<  /27, and the ISP was also getting space for
an internal infrastructure while the LIR did not. My concern is that by
merging terms there might be an unintended consequence in the evaluation
side of this. I have no objection to the merge and actually support the
simplification, just asking that someone comment about potential confusion
between those with an infrastructure (ISP), and those without (LIR). If we
effectively split the ISPs into the LIR part supporting customers, and the
end-user part for their infrastructure, that may simplify policy language,
but make the justification/evaluation process more difficult.

Tony