[arin-ppml] Clean up definition of LIR/ISP vs. end-user

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Apr 29 20:06:40 EDT 2013

On Apr 29, 2013, at 2:31 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would propose that the primary difference between ISPs/LIRs vs. end-users,
>> for purposes of the NRPM, is whether an organization reassigns address
>> blocks to third parties.  If an organization maintains full control of all
>> of the equipment on its network, and doesn't need to make any reassignments
>> to other organizations, then it can qualify as an end-user.  In particular,
>> an end user organization must be able to supply a full list of all the IP
>> addresses in use on its network, and know what devices are using those
>> addresses.
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> Keep it simple:
>
> 1. There is no LIR. Only ISP.  I get the distinction but it's
> needlessly confusing for everybody who isn't steeped in ARIN policy.

For policy purposes, LIR and ISP are identical. However, if you were going
to eliminate a term from policy, the term ISP would be the one to eliminate.

An ISP which fits into the ISP/LIR policy category is, by definition an LIR.

It is possible, however, for an LIR to exist which is not actually an ISP.

Owen