[arin-ppml] Clean up definition of LIR/ISP vs. end-user

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 29 17:31:11 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would propose that the primary difference between ISPs/LIRs vs. end-users,
> for purposes of the NRPM, is whether an organization reassigns address
> blocks to third parties.  If an organization maintains full control of all
> of the equipment on its network, and doesn't need to make any reassignments
> to other organizations, then it can qualify as an end-user.  In particular,
> an end user organization must be able to supply a full list of all the IP
> addresses in use on its network, and know what devices are using those
> addresses.

Hi Scott,

Keep it simple:

1. There is no LIR. Only ISP.  I get the distinction but it's
needlessly confusing for everybody who isn't steeped in ARIN policy.

2. If you don't claim to be an end user, you're an ISP subject to all
rules, privileges and fees.

3. If no portion of your justification for IP addresses is based on
assignment to and opaque use by a third party you may claim to be an
end-user subject to end-user rules, privileges and fees.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004