[arin-ppml] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 17:57:51 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> > On Apr 15, 2013, at 7:43 AM, "Tim St. Pierre" <tim at communicatefreely.net>
> wrote:
> >> Now we have a running network, with real customers, and we need IPv4
> >> allocations, since running IPv6 only for retail Internet is a bit
> >> problematic.  We tried to get a /24 out of our upstream, but they are
> >> essentially out of address space and can't give us any.  They can't get
> >> any more either, because they just got taken over by a larger carrier
> >> that has free pools, but on a different AS.
> >>
> >> We do have another upstream that we could connect to, but they can't
> >> give us anything more than a /28 either.
> >>
> >> I applied for a /22 under the immediate need category, but I don't
> >> qualify, since I can really only use about 2/3 of it within 30 days.
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> If an IPv4 address market is going to work *at all* then it will work
> for this situation. It looks like you drew the short straw and get to
> be the guinea pig. Find someone with a /24 willing to sell and acquire
> it under NRPM 8.3. And document the heck out of the process so that
> your experience can guide the next policy changes around the IPv4
> market concept.

If he can't qualify for space from ARIN, how is he going to qualify to
receive space via transfer?  The requirements are the same (with the
exception of 3-month vs. 24-month need, which isn't the limiting factor
here).  And the minimum allocation size for ISPs is /22 per NRPM 4.2.2.2:
only end-users can get /24's from ARIN (or via transfer), under NRPM
4.3.2.2.

> At a practical level, push your ISP harder too. By which I mean the
> salesmen, not the tech staff. They have upstreams too, and one of them
> has a /24 available for multihoming use. You may have to pay for the
> extra work acquiring it, but they *can* get it for you.

Agreed, this is likely the most expeditious path forward.  You'll need two
/24s to qualify for a /22 under current policy.  If your upstreams still
refuse to allocate them to you, you might be able to find a third party
willing to do so.  They typically refer to it as "leasing", but under ARIN
policy it's just another form of reallocation.

-Scott