[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sun Apr 7 23:23:25 EDT 2013

cb.list6 wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2013 7:19 PM, "Paul Vixie" <paul at redbarn.org
> <mailto:paul at redbarn.org>> wrote:
>
> > i'm intrigued by this statement. i hope you are willing to share
> some of your experiences as to how needs based justification has
> negatively driven some design choices.
>
> I just wrote a page of explanation and deleted it.
>
> If I have to explain it, you would not understand. And you do not
> understand today's data networks at all. I feel bad and outrageous
> saying that. But, given hundreds of millions of mobile phone users
> behind cgn today, perhaps your question is outrageous

i'm like that.

> Note that att and vz have both rolled cgn to their dsl subs.
>
> Yet arin is not exhausted.
>
> Interesting?

no. if i wanted to roll out way more devices in the next few years than
are in ARIN's free pool, and i had several competitors who i knew were
doing the same, then i'd try pretty hard to run V6 native, and if my
hardware partners said they wouldn't be able to do that as soon or as
cheaply, i'd look at CGN.

paul