[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 4 15:06:04 EDT 2013

On Apr 4, 2013, at 11:31 , William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>> Part 2: Add a new subsection to section 6 "IPv6";
>>
>> 6.12 Reduction or Return
>>
>> ARIN will accept the return of whole or partial block(s) allowing an
>> organization to reduce their holdings as long as:
>>
>> a. The end result is not an increase in the number of non-contiguous blocks
>> held by the organization.
>
> Hi David,
>
> CIDR blocks or aggregable blocks. 10.0.0.0-10.11.12.13 is a contiguous
> block but it doesn't _aggregate_ for routing purposes per NRPM 6.3.4.

Bill,

Since ARIN will be issuing them as aggregable nibble-boundary based
blocks (we are talking IPv6 policy, so your example is specious),
anything which doesn't increase the number of discontiguous blocks
will, by definition, remain aggregable.

>> b. Whole blocks are returned to the extent practicable.
>
> I liked the original language in the proposal which was along the
> lines of: "the aggregate retained must be either the first (lowest
> numbered) subnet or the last (highest numbered) subnet of the original
> allocation."
>
> I see Owen's point but when the time eventually arrives that we have
> to think about allocating the space in these reserved areas, I'd
> rather that space be less fragmented than more. Anyone who doesn't
> have a /32 yet can read the policy and figure out what they need to do
> if they want to be able to shed cost. And anyone who already has their
> /32... thank you. But seriously, show of hands, which of you wants to
> return the start and end of your /32 and keep only a chunk in the
> middle somewhere?

I do not expect that IPv6 will be in use so long as for that time to come.
I think we will be lucky if technology doesn't outpace the capabilities of
IPv6 in the next 100 years. There is probably a few thousand years
worth of IPv6 address space. Especially if we consider the use of
the 6 remaining /3s.

Owen