[arin-ppml] Incorrect POC on resource records

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Sep 29 10:19:15 EDT 2012

> Sorry, but the address user is required to respond.  When they signed the RSA the RSA requires them to supply POCs.  By allowing a POC to become invalid they are no longer supplying the POC and are thus in
> violation of the contract.

The RSA is somewhat superfluous in this case, especially when we are speaking of legacy registrations.

However, ARIN maintains the database in accordance with ARIN policy and the following section of the NRPM is quite clear on the matter:

3.6 Annual Whois POC Validation

3.6.1 Method of Annual Verification

During ARINs annual Whois POC validation, an email will be sent to every POC in the Whois database. Each POC will have a maximum of 60 days to respond with an affirmative that their Whois contact information is correct and complete. Unresponsive POC email addresses shall be marked as such in the database. If ARIN staff deems a POC to be completely and permanently abandoned or otherwise illegitimate, the POC record shall be marked invalid. ARIN will maintain, and make readily available to the community, a current list of number resources with no valid POC; this data will be subject to the current bulk Whois policy.

Admittedly, this is not what happened in Mr. Noble's case and I accept Mr. Curran's explanation of that particular situation and his assertion that it has now been (or is in the process of being) corrected overall.  However, unresponsive contacts are, in fact, invalid contacts because the whole point of a POC is that they be responsive and they are required by policy to respond at least to the annual verification message from ARIN. ARIN policy applies to legacy registrations just as much as current registrations, in spite of assertions to the contrary by some legacy holders.

> In any case, if an org deliberately ignores an invoice, their account
> with ARIN runs in arrears and they lose the assignment.

Legacy holders that have not signed an RSA do not receive invoices from ARIN to ignore.

Owen